normal by definition confirming to a standard; usual, typical or expected

Wednesday 21 January 2009

What should I tell her?

Yup, of course the answer is to tell her the truth. I know that. So, let me rephrase the question, how should I tell her...hmmm, what's her question again, and who is the her we are talking about?
Yesterday, on the way back from work, my princess asked me about what will happen to her if she "datang bulan" and is it painful? I nearly choked my own sliver and did not see this one coming.
Apparently, one of her good friend got her period last week so that's is why she become so curious about it. Being a mom who always think that my daughter is still this very small little girl that I still can carry and cuddle, I have yet to prepare myself with this kind of questions. And I don't have any experience about this kind of thing.
My better half told me to just tell her what my mom told me. The problem is when I got my period, I was in my hostel in a boarding school and away from my mom. Hence, I handled this myself with the help of few friends of course. Still recall them putting warm water in a bottle and then placed it on my tummy to ease the cramp.
So, back to the question, how should I tell her this. What is the right way to tell her? How can I make her understand the responsibilities once you have your period and the repercussions if you don't take care of yourself.
It's tough being a mom...and just when people think it gets easier when the children are all grown up (at least that's what people keep telling me, "ko senang lah, anak dah besar2), wait till this children grow up, then they will finally know how I feel....

7 normalies:

fazid said...

opssss...this is hard.... hmmm...perhaps you could find some pamphlets, or articles from the web, and read them with ur princess. my 1st experience having them was brutal liza :D. ahahahahhaha

NadiahKhair said...

oh boy!!
Thats a tough one. But I always dreamt of telling my girl the way Lorelai told Rory in one of the episode of GG.
She had a nice day out with her daughter while telling her about the birds and the bees non chalantly while shopping for bras. hahahha

But seriously I nak buat mcm tuh. When i had my first, I kept it a secret as if it was sin to be having bloods coming out of u. *How ignorants was i?*
I didnt know how to handle it or even how to break it to my mom. She found out about a year later. Now thinking about it, if I were my mom, I would have been really dissapointed for not having your own daughter's trust. So for her to be asking you that is a major step already and gave you the privilage of having her trust.

Break it to her slowly and at your own time. And do it alone without her other siblings. And explain everything that happens with the period. If you still have your pregnancy chart while pregnant with her, it would be a plus. Show it to her..enough for her to know having a period means responsibility, pride and dignity of being a woman.

lilRed Farah said...

i can still remember those days....
sgt kelakar...
may be becuase i already know what period is..
nak nak plak jadi sebelom g sekolah...
so i just cll my mom..
pastu ckp camnih
"mak... ade pad tak?? farihah period"
hahahhahahha
she was trying to look cool but then i can see that she was having a shock of her life...
ngahahhahahhaha

nae said...

Now I wish i have a girl too....:)

Mine pretty much the same with yours, first period at boarding school. Harapkan kakak seniors lah to show me the rope. But when I told my mom later, she came over the weekend to celebrate (together with my dad whom was trying to look nonchalant). I felt quite special on that day. The lectures on do's and dont's came much, much later.

iNa said...

wow, that's one tough one!

AK said...

hahaha

tak daya mau komen! takde pengalaman, walaupun pms ngn psm! =p

Liza said...

dear all, thanks for sharing, i am planning to have this talk with her soon, nanti i update yer...